The Blood Rising
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Blood Rising is/was an Assault Cube Clan created on February 6th, 2010; and ended on May 26th, 2013.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Come Back Kids
Linux Games Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2021 5:07 pm by DaRealRocky

» a look back
Linux Games Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 5:10 pm by Soulker

» moved and settled pretty much
Linux Games Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 1:50 pm by Sticky

» CyberSecurity Bills
Linux Games Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 12:37 am by Iguana

» Raspberry Pi
Linux Games Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 1:20 pm by Iguana

» New IRC server
Linux Games Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 1:03 pm by Iguana

» Nomz Nomz gone wrong....
Linux Games Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 2:40 pm by DaRealRocky

» akimbo ac_wadi?
Linux Games Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 2:50 am by Bloodsport

» {TBR} vs [SODA] (tie)
Linux Games Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 4:27 pm by BHO

Top posters
DaRealRocky
Linux Games Vote_lcapLinux Games Voting_barLinux Games Vote_rcap 
Bloodsport
Iguana
ReEsEs
ASCII
*SMG_3m*
MerCyKiL
Soulker
Badass Teddy

Linux Games

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Iguana
Admin
Iguana

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 11:54 pm

http://www.lgdb.org/list_games

I think they might have them all there Razz
some are for windows too >_<
and maybe mac 0 _ o
Back to top Go down
ASCII

ASCII

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 7:57 pm

What distro are you using?
Back to top Go down
Iguana
Admin
Iguana

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 11:16 pm

ASCII wrote:
currently none, but i wanna try some variant of BSD (kuz it based on original unix) or maybe something with rpm packaging idk, but i don't like ubuntu types, so i still undecided.

but as soon as i get a new hard drive i'll install some linux/unix on it Razz

though,
I have yellowdog linux on my ps3, but it can only run simple 2d games with the framebuffer, kuz the graphics card is blocked off, and there's only ~250mb of ram for linux, the full 2gb ram is blocked off :/
but there is emulators for it and i can run any 2d old school game that i want with them XD
sadly i don't used it much Sad i just use it as a backup storage device kuz i put a 620gb hard drive in it >.< lol <3
Back to top Go down
ASCII

ASCII

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 12:10 am

What's wrong with Ubuntu types? I'm running Natty and it works great. It rums twice as fast as Windows 7, and once you get the hang of bash it's awesome for coding. I've never tried a Unix OS, but it is the grandfather of all modern operating systems, and from what I've heard Minix and OpenBSD are pretty good. Still, Ubuntu works magic Smile
Back to top Go down
Iguana
Admin
Iguana

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 1:43 am

I want something different from what most linux people use. Shocked
I wanna be different affraid
Back to top Go down
Bloodsport
Admin
Bloodsport

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 2:27 pm

I use SUSE Linux because after trying a whole load of different distros a few years ago, SUSE was the only one that I found to work properly all the time and with all the tools I needed. However, a Gnome based distro like the older versions of ubuntu are quite a bit faster and more lightweight if that's your thing.

I have a colleague who loves BSD, but to my eyes it's ugly as hell and forces you to use a computer like it's still the early 1990s.
Back to top Go down
Iguana
Admin
Iguana

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 4:46 pm

but u haven't tried all teh BSD's

but then again there's always other unix's like: solaris, mac os x, and minix
Back to top Go down
ASCII

ASCII

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 6:04 pm

LOL Mac OS X

SUSE, really? I always hated the look of it, but I've never tried it. I guess whatever works, and I've heard it's good for devving :/
Back to top Go down
Bloodsport
Admin
Bloodsport

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:11 pm

I don't think it looks too shabby in the more recent KDE4 versions. However, the final releases of gnome 2.x were quire tasty looking.

As you mention, the main reason I use it is that KDE is a really great desktop environment for software development. KDevelop, KDESVN, Okteta, and the NVIDIA drivers work properly for CUDA/OpenCL development. Couldn't work without them.
Back to top Go down
ASCII

ASCII

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Emacs all the way Smile I use to go with Visual Studio, but going in with a text editor and a terminal shell works wonders. Only thing I miss is code completion :/

I also really like Unity as opposed to gnome, which surprised me. I love the OS X style dock on the side.
Back to top Go down
Iguana
Admin
Iguana

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 7:11 pm

ASCII wrote:
forgot to mention that i do have virtual box.

and i give up on installing bsd's on vm (except for pc-bsd Razz)
GhostBSD dont wanna install, gives me a "going to sleep" error lol
FreeBSD kinda works, kuz i passes the instalation stuff, but when i switch to the virtual hard disk, it says it cant read it O.o
OpenBSD did install, but it looks like too much work to set up a gui like kde (have to manually edit and add files - . - )
PC-BSD works almost like linux, it has a gui for install alien , but on vm, its kinda slow, think it freezes a bit when it displays the kde loading screen. XD but it works after that :OO

-- haven't tested the network type BSD's kuz i wanna gui not just text commands D:
Back to top Go down
Bloodsport
Admin
Bloodsport

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 5:12 am

Hmm, I think my colleague uses freeBSD so I could ask him for some pointers on installing in virtualbox.

As for Emacs, it's ok, but once you have decent code completion you never go back. Visual Studio's is good, but KDevelop has truly great C++ code completion. It just removes almost all the silly syntax errors that otherwise use up so much debugging time. Also, using a code completion tool encourages you to use longer and more explanatory variable names. With a few thousand line project it is very useful. At 10,000 or 1 million lines of code, development would get very slow without it. The visual debugger is also a lot more efficient than using gdb on the command line.

BTW ASCII, what type of coding do you do at the moment?
Back to top Go down
ASCII

ASCII

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Well during the school year I read an 1000 or so page book on C++ and the STL, and then I started working with SFML just to get the hang of graphics, hardware etc. However when I went away for the summer and didn't have a chance to code for three months, I honestly forgot a lot of it. I remembered the basics, but all of the rules with inheritance, copy constructors, operator overloading and the likes I just forgot. I decided to learn C and then go back and relearn the C++ I forgot, so at the moment I'm working through The C Programming Language, since I figured it's the de facto standard on C. Then I hope to work through the C++ Primer, and from there I'm not sure where I'll go. I always wanted to work on Operating Systems (why I decided to learn C), but that's such a complex field I think I might want to get some general application programming experience first :/ Also, I'll give KDevelop a go and see how it compares. On Ubuntu I've tried GVim, Emacs and Code::Blocks, and found Emacs and make to work the best. I'll see what KDevelop has to offer Smile

EDIT: Wtf, it appears KDevelop doesn't have a C template! What is this!!
Back to top Go down
Bloodsport
Admin
Bloodsport

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Hmm I'm surprised at that. I suppose the C++ no gui template would work fine and you can just change the cmake files as needed if there is a problem.

With regards to learning C++, I think the best way is to just start coding something you are interested in. You don't need to learn the syntax for copy constructors off by heart (I usually have to google that kind of stuff). You just need to know it exists so that you will think of using it when necessary. I would recommend getting good at writing well structured code in C++ before moving to C as it's very easy to get into bad habits. Language features that you will need to learn are pointer manipulation and memory allocation. They can be a bit difficult to start with.

Get a copy of a decent software engineering book. Something that deals more with the structure of code and why you need to use things like inheritance. There are a lot of java books on this, but in my view they tend to go a bit over the top on object-orientedness and making everything abstract.

Almost all of good software engineering comes down to the principle of writing code in a way that lets you re-use the same functions or objects over and over again.
Back to top Go down
ASCII

ASCII

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 6:32 pm

Eww Java. I had about a year of on and off C++, so I hope I don't have too many awful habits :/ Dynamic Memory allocation was somewhat tricky, but I didn't know it even existed in C, and I would usually just use std::vectors in C++ to save me all of the hassle. Pointer Manipulation is definitely something I need to work on, and that's why I'm learning C, though I haven't gotten to that chapter yet. I remember most of it from C++, but I never really knew when to use them. Once I get into larger projects, I'll definitely get a good Software Engineering book. At the moment I'm still writing small little projects, but once I know what I'm doing I'll head into bigger and better things Smile

Also, KDevelop seemed nicer than Visual Studio! But with no real way to write C code efficiently (and most C++ templates invovled Qt) I'm just gonna stick with Emacs and my code-completion plugins Smile
Back to top Go down
Iguana
Admin
Iguana

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 6:52 pm

ASCII wrote:
Eww Java.
yeah, its a pain :/

python easier :O even though i don't know much :U
Back to top Go down
ASCII

ASCII

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 6:53 pm

Yeah, honestly python is probably the best language I could think of to start with. Especially compared to C lol!
Back to top Go down
Bloodsport
Admin
Bloodsport

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 12:36 pm

Hmm, while python has a lot of supporters, I'm not a big fan of the way indentation is used instead of braces for code blocks. As much as I don't like Java, it's quite a good language to start with so that you get into good software engineering habits. C#.net is one of my favourite languages and is also good for learning to program, but sadly it's pretty much windows only.
Back to top Go down
ASCII

ASCII

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 4:33 pm

If you indent your python code like you would any other language, it works just as well. It keeps the syntax nice and neat too Smile I'm a C# fan as well, but to me it seems a lot like Java, and the main idea behind Java is that it's cross-platform. I personally don't like .NET, so I shy away from VB.NET, C#.NET and C++/CLI. Just me :/
Back to top Go down
Iguana
Admin
Iguana

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 8:19 pm

ASCII wrote:
LOL Mac OS X
ur lolz brought bad luck on apple, kuz Steve Jobs dead now D:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/05/us/obit-steve-jobs/index.html
Back to top Go down
ASCII

ASCII

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 10:31 pm

lol Fuck you. Steve Jobs was a brilliant hacker, I have mad respect for the man :/ But have you seen this iPhone 4S shit, I never used an iPhone but all they did was throw a few android features in and call it a new product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-PB8glrqds&feature=share
Back to top Go down
Iguana
Admin
Iguana

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 11:05 pm

never liked iphones, but my mom has a 4

i have a 2nd generation touch, used to have a nano, but i gave it away..

Back to top Go down
Bloodsport
Admin
Bloodsport

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 6:34 am

I had an iPhone 3G, but I had too many bad experiences with it erasing all the stuff I paid for on it when I did an update and not letting me back things up on a new computer. Well designed and a real breakthrough in usability when the first one came out, but it's no longer better than the competition and can't justify the ridiculous restrictions on file transfers etc.
Back to top Go down
Iguana
Admin
Iguana

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 2:37 pm

only thing apple has is best design with their products, but internal spect wise lol
Back to top Go down
ASCII

ASCII

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Hey Blood, what's your opinion on Linux Mint. I'm thinking about using either Mint or openSUSE. I like the KDE look with openSUSE (I'm not a big fan of Gnome), which I don't get because a week ago I said it looked ugly on this thread, but I'm realizing how awful Unity is and the KDE simple look seems appealing now. What do you have to say about the two?

EDIT: After reading this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=68422&start=0 I'm leaning towards openSUSE. Gonna try it in Virtual Box first though :/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Linux Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linux Games   Linux Games Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Linux Games
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next